Friday, July 15, 2011

Leopard slug

One of the joys of working from home is being able to do those household chores at lunchtime. Oh joy. Today I thought I'd have a look at the rainwater harvester (which flushes our loos and runs the washing machine). On lifting the inspection cover I was firstly amazed at how little the water had gone down - good - but it was still filthy after the neighbours kitchen waste had been somehow wrongly connected to the system, and it still smelt. Oh the joy.

Inside there is a covered trap which catches leaves and debris from the guttering. Imagine my surprise when I opened the trap to firstly find it full to the brim, and secondly, a lovely adult Leopard slug was sat on top of it all!

Leopard slug is my favourite British slug, by some distance, and our garden remains the best place in Britain for this species ;-) Its only one of three sites I have ever found it, the other sites being nearby Woodwalton Fen and the other Glen Feshie in Speyside, Scotland. I find it regularly each year around the garden.

No comments: