Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Farcet Fen

A reasonable moth catch overnight resulting in few year ticks including -


Poplar Hawkmoth


Angle Shades
Moths | Leica Digilux 1 | © Steve Dudley

And who says arable farmland is completely dead for birds. I remember when I first moved out here and somethoughtt I was nuts. Well, with 106 species on the garden list, a newly established breeding Tree Sparrow colony and regular goodies such as Barn Owl, Hobby and Marsh Harrier from the house - I rest my case!

Even the little irrigation reservoir is starting to come in to its own, with a reedy margin now establishing which issufficientt enough for Coot to breed. Great Crested and Little Grebes are visiting regularly (Little Grebe attempted to breed), and the local Barn Owl spends part of each evening hoovering up the voles from the ressy banks!


Coot Now breeding on the local irrigation reservoir


Great Crested Grebe I can even see this form the house!
Birds | Leica APO Televid 77 with 20xWA & Nikon Coolpix 995
© Steve Dudley

No comments: